View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Unauthorized Copy? 
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

Post Unauthorized Copy?
Well, I installed Sims 3 yesterday and registered my copy on-line to buy some items and download Riverview. Everything went fine and dandy with installing my items into the game, but when I restarted the launcher at some point, I got this message:

"You are playing a non-final, unauthorized copy of The Sims 3. Purchasing and registering an official copy of The Sims 3 will entitle you to benefits including access to an entirely new game town called Riverview, 1000 SimPoints which can be redeemed for game objects in The Sims 3 Store, and access to The Sims 3 Exchange."

Seems kinda stupid considering I registered the thing already and was able to download everything -_- Is there some way to make this message go away? The message shows up in the Welcome page and won't allow me to log-in to my registered account. It still lets me play the game, so I don't mind too much, but it's kind of insulting that it believes I have a downloaded copy.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post Re: Unauthorized Copy?
Do you have a pirated copy installed as well, or had one installed previously?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 pm
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

I did, but I went through the uninstallation process and made sure to delete any remaining files in the sims 3 directory before installing my retail version. I didn't get that message at all when I initially started the launcher; it let me log-in and everything. Only when I started the launcher a second time did I finally receive the message. Weird. Well, as long as it doesn't restrict any future downloads/patches, it's whatever (I'm too lazy to reinstall the whole thing) :P

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I wonder if you might not still have some of the pirate copy files left on your computer, though. To me, that's the only possible explanation. It would -not- have let you install the game if you hadn't entered a valid CD key during installation.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:30 pm
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

GameFreakia wrote:
Well, I installed Sims 3 yesterday and registered my copy on-line to buy some items and download Riverview. Everything went fine and dandy with installing my items into the game, but when I restarted the launcher at some point, I got this message:

Seems kinda stupid considering I registered the thing already and was able to download everything -_- Is there some way to make this message go away? The message shows up in the Welcome page and won't allow me to log-in to my registered account. It still lets me play the game, so I don't mind too much, but it's kind of insulting that it believes I have a downloaded copy.

GameFreakia wrote:
I did, but I went through the uninstallation process and made sure to delete any remaining files in the sims 3 directory before installing my retail version. I didn't get that message at all when I initially started the launcher; it let me log-in and everything. Only when I started the launcher a second time did I finally receive the message. Weird. Well, as long as it doesn't restrict any future downloads/patches, it's whatever (I'm too lazy to reinstall the whole thing) :P

How was it insulting if you did have the pirated copy installed earlier ?

Clean your registry, remove all securom and sims entries and reinstall.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Name: BillyJoe
Unistall The Sims 3. Now go into your Mydocuments folder and remove the EA folder. Go into progarm files and do the same. Hit the start menu and click on run. Type in regedit. when it come up click on edit find.

Now type in sims 3:

If it brings up keys on the right pane look at the key and see if Sims 3 or EA is in the key. right click on it and remove it.

Now go back to edit again and choose find. Do the same. Now type in Electronic Arts and do the same but make sure if you have any other EA games its states Sims 3.

Be careful in the registry editor, Now reinstall The Sims 3.

Edit**** post above states remove Securom. It will just be reinstalled if you do. I would leave the securom issue alone for now.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 pm
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Over at the sims 3 community this problem has been stated over and over again... and the same solution was being posted but wasn't working... Seems like everyone getting this error has a legitimate disc with the Version number 1.0.631.00001 ... So far it looks like EA has accidentally released 2 versions of the game. The version above and another version ending 0007. or something.. I can't find the posts today.

Oh .. I found it... looks like it's a simple answer...

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/588.page

It says whatever browser that you are using... you need to clear cache, cookies ,,everything basically.. that seems to be fixing it.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 pm
Just Passing Through
Just Passing Through

A solution has been found for this in the forums on the Sims3 site. You need to go into your web browser and clear out the cache, temporary files, and possibly cookies. That gets it up and running for a lot of people.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:02 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

when you uninstall the wild version remove the my documents\electronic arts, thats right the whole folder you can add your saves back later but if the game finds that folder when you install, it will go, wait a minute "you're ze PIRAT3Z!!!!!".

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 pm
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Also it looks like even if you have that message it doesn't really matter... you can still download, upload and play the game... It's just basically a welcome screen. The rest of the launcher is used for installing whatever you download from the site.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:33 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
What Sim_Outlaw said. The Sims 3 and all programs always leave Registry files no matter how many times you uninstall. There is probably some registry files left over from your pirated install. Check his post ^^^^^^

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 am
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

I figured it out thanks to google. Another person had the same issue, and all they had to do was clear their cache in their browser :) Just FYI in case anyone else runs into this.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:44 am
Profile YIM
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Rachel
i went to register my game and it says invalid code or already being used! i have typed and checked 6 times :shakefist:

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 am
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

Don't capitalize the code. And then give it a few minutes to show up.

Gen 1: Alan Halo (+ Pauline Wan)
Gen 2: Maurice, Trisha, Jeremy, Thomas

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 am
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

For anyone that has a Mac computer and wants to uninstall the pirated copy and install the legitimate one use AppZapper. It uninstalls leaving no remains behind. To clean up your system use Onyx!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm
I'm a Stereo
I'm a Stereo

Name: Joe
I had the same problem, but it wasnt my fault i had the leak! My uncle got it thinking I would like it and had to accept it as a present but I made sure I didn't play it!

EDIT: I've found the solution without uninstalling! Delete your cache and history etc. on your internet browser then restart the Launcher!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]