View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Why don't you like The Sims 3? 
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post Why don't you like The Sims 3?
I just got it and I've been playing it almost every freaking day and I love it. I even bought the two EPs. Personally, I think it's way better than The Sims 2. The Sims 3 just started and I'm thinking the only reason people stay with The Sims 2 is because it has all of the expansion packs already. So why don't you like The Sims 3?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Hunter
Post Re: Why don't you like The Sims 3?
the sims 2 alone had way more option then the original sims 3...
I feel sims 2 is easier to install things, I DO NOT like the idea of mission based EP's either. :smile:

Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack
Yeah, installing third-party CC for TS3 is a bitch to do, you've got all that framework and editing of files to complete, then you've got to individually group everything together and re-package it so it won't slow the hell out of your game...

Also I found TS2 easier to use when it came to building. No idea why.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:19 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Same! i dont even bother trying to download stuff off of really small sites, the thing i like about TSR is PACKAGE FILES, you click on the file and it goes into your game no messing with files, although i would like a better selection at TSR. i can handle modthesims but it still frustrates me.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:41 pm
Historia Crux
Historia Crux

Name: Erhama
Roleplay: Roxlar Trein
hunter wrote:
Same! i dont even bother trying to download stuff off of really small sites, the thing i like about TSR is PACKAGE FILES, you click on the file and it goes into your game no messing with files.

I believe you mean .sims3pack files, .package files are the ones that you actually need to mess with files.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Custom Title
Custom Title

~ərry wrote:
hunter wrote:
Same! i dont even bother trying to download stuff off of really small sites, the thing i like about TSR is PACKAGE FILES, you click on the file and it goes into your game no messing with files.

I believe you mean .sims3pack files, .package files are the ones that you actually need to mess with files.

aww yeah. :nod: but back to the topic.. I believe in order of GREATNESS the sims 2 takes the lead, then 1, then 3. Im only judging this on the original games though, if i were to say between 1 and 2 with all EP's its gonna be one.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:44 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

I like the Sims 3 betta coz the graphics look reli good
But i've neva had so many problems with a game
with the sims 2 i never installed any patches and yet my game still worked relatively bug free
with no major bugs
With the sims 3, I've not been able to play it for the last 8 months due to a bug from WA
I think that's sorted now though

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:57 am
Wonderstruck
Wonderstruck

Name: Ben
It takes over 11 minutes to load a save, still. :stare:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
The whole game has a more childish feel to me... and it's also sacrificed some of the charm of ts1/2.

By childish, I mean when you place walls there's big fairy farts and sparkles.. and it's just pointless..

The graphics also don't feel like much of a step forwards to me (despite what people say about 'oh they wanted it to run on older machines - STUPID EXCUSE, if every game used this excuse, there wouldn't be any progression in games ANYWHERE)

Another reason is because of EPs, and the new direction they're going in... I just wanted a TS2 EP where it made the neighborhood seamless... and i would have had my ultimate game.. but no. they ruined that.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm
Misplaced
Misplaced

Name: Ayo
Roleplay: Anya - Sam
I like the Sims 3 really I do, but it doesn't have the same charm that Sims 2 did for me. It may just be because it's so early and we don't have many EP's yet or something but I get bored with Sims 3 soo easily. I get excited when new EP's come out then I play with all the new features and I'm back to being bored again. With Sims 2 there was always something to keep me busy. Idk I'm just not in love with Sims 3 like I was 2. I still like it though *shrug*

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:38 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

i loved in the sims one there were crazy objects and sets like the dunking tank and the artificial sky diving, also who can forget the haybail set and the sims 2 had the best EP's and fricken EA think they can change it -.- i mean who wouldnt want to be able to walk around twikki island and relax on the beach again WITH NOOOO LOADING SCREENS! :stab: :dig: :nod:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Name: Jawsh
I wish they just made Sims 2 seamless and ended it there...

The Sims 3 was not a good idea in my opinion, the graphics are CLAY LIKE, who cares if people have crap computers, IT'S CALLED PROGRESSION! Oh and let's not forget the 'charm of the game'.

I love Sims 2 more because it was fun, had a great charm, decent graphics which can look really good with custom content, there was better humor, and no offense, but it seemed like there was a better community...
I mean who didn't love the boolprop site with all the hilarious legacies?

In Sims 2 I never got bored, something always kept me hooked on, however with Sims 3 it's just, I play out the features for a week, and that's it. I can't bring myself to go back.

Your reasoning is incorrect, most don't like it because it drags on and gets very boring after a week.

I also agree with Charlie, I HATE the childish things in the game, it doesn't feel like it's T for Teen!

I loved Sims 2 towns MUCH better than the towns that came with Sims 3. I mean seriously EA? YOUR TOWNS SUCK. Sunset Valley is nothing compared to good old Pleasantview! Riverview is much better than Sunset Valley and it's supposed to be the second OPTIONAL neighborhood! Even then, Riverview still isn't as good as Pleasantview though! Oh and let's not forget the premades... Some storylines they have. Where the freak is our Bella Goth case? I wanted there to be something that spammed the boards, not boring storylines that no one cares about.

I actually look forward to Late Night, but only because there's celebs and vampires... hopefully it won't let me down, but I don't have much hope left for this game. *sigh*

I am Electra Heart.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Name: Logan
One of the reasons I'm probably not addicted to TS3 as I was to 2, is because i'm growing up.

A while ago, Video games where one of the main points of my existence and life. I loved playing them, I loved spending hours on the computer going on Snooty Sims and TS2, but then I found other interests and had more responsibilities that I would get jittery if I stayed on any PC too long. I used to get sucked in by every expansion pack by buying every one, and having a PC ONLY for the Sims, since it takes up so much space.

I still enjoy The Sims 3, but it's really the only video game I play anymore, not to mention that even though i play often, it's not the volumes i used to play when I was younger. I think a lot of the factors that weigh in when it comes to us enjoying The Sims 3 is that, a lot of us grew up around The Sims. I remember playing the original sims as a first grader. The series has always been a key point in my life, as I'm sure it has for you guys too. As we grow as people, our interests shift. It felt weird not being compelled by any expansion pack that's been released so far. I don't have that "gotta catch 'em all" syndrome.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Meh, I just think the humans can look less pudding like. You'd think a game focused on life would focus a little more on this. But thanks for Mods :laugh:

Really no complaints about the graphics for me, sure they could look better but the whole thing about them wanting it to run on as many computers as possible is a legit excuse. A lot of MMO games do this. There are computer games that try to push the limit of what home computers can do and get hype off of that, those are usually shooters though.

But TS3 compared to TS2? For me, I never really played TS2 too much until more EPs came out. By the time all of them were out, I played it as much as I could. I am finding the same pattern with The Sims 3 for me.

I think that charm that people have from TS1 to TS2 is the massive changes they made. From 2D to 3D, from a static non-aging family, to a dying fluid family, and etc.

The jump from TS2-TS3 wasn't that large....but IMO they did of a good job of not messing with a good thing. Making the game a little more open and hopefully the EPs can just add more and more to it.

I compare it to Grand Theft Auto :laugh: GTA2 was a 2D game from a top down view. It had some good ideas...then they make this big jump to go 3D...and now it is this amazing game. For that reason a lot of people have a special place for them when it comes to GTA3, and not Vice City, San Andreas, or even GTA4. Sort of like Super Mario 64 also.

:con: so I think I am trying to say that Sims 2 was a great game. I really feel like Sims 2 and Sims 3 are very similar. Excluding EPs, what are some things you can do in Sims 2 that you can't do in Sims 3?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 am
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I think a big part of the problem is that with The Sims 2, a lot of people were playing the game with a ton of the expansion packs installed. In my opinion, if you take the base game of TS2, and compare it with the base game of TS3, then TS3 is hands down a better game.

I have tried to go back to The Sims 2, but whenever I play it I feel so trapped.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:15 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I guess it's because im not a casual gamer but i far prefer TS3.

For me TS2 was a heavily flawed game. I found the introduction of aging only went half way and the games progression of time was shotty. For example if your sim went outside the house when they came back no time had past (imo stupid). Another being that each generation could be friends with the exact same sims at school who never got older and you had to equally play each family in the neighborhood if you didn't want generations to be completely messed up with children older than parents and such.

Another beef i had with TS2 was the wants and fears system which for me felt very much like you weren't playing the game but the game played you. In TS3 if you prefer you can completely ignore the wishes system, it is not required to play. However without cheating TS2 forces you to complete certain goals in order to keep your sims happy. I have at mean times seen people state the EPs of TS2 better than those of TS3 because TS3 has mission based gameplay, yet TS2 had goal oriented gameplay from the beginning and was an integral part of the game. Basically i think for a game which boasts creativity and freedom TS2 spent a whole lot of time telling you what to do.

Moving onto TS3 and why i like it. Firstly for TS3 i find continuous play far more bearable because everyone ages, so it is realistic. I no longer feel that the game is missing features that render it unplayable for me. As far as graphics i can't understand how people don't think they are better than that of TS2, my only explanation is that people are comparing TS2 with CC to TS3 without CC. I personally didn't think the character models in TS2 were that great and rarely ever saw players who didn't have custom skins installed. That aside when i think of the graphics i am paying attention to the lighting effects, elements, texture and model quality, all of which imo have been greatly improved in TS3. Is anyone going to try and say the water looked better in TS2?
In relation to the graphics being held back to run on many systems i view that as a very valid point. When developing a game the team has to create a product which is relevant to their target market. The audience of The Sims Series is not the hardcore audience, therefore the average computer of The Sims gamers has far lower specs than say someone who plays something like upcoming title Mafia II. And imo TS3 with the graphics settings turned to high is in no way a bad looking game, certainly not the best, however The Sims is not a series to focus on graphic excellence.

This whole idea that TS2 should have had an EP which opened up the neighborhood completely baffles me. I can't see how in any way TS2 engine would be able to deliver anything close to what TS3 has given us as far an an open neighborhood.

P.S
Loved TS1, could still play for hours.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

I agree with mitch that I did not like the aging in TS2. I didn't like that your sims Aged but no one else didn't. Also that in the Sims 2 for me at least it was a lot more of micro-managing. Especially if you have 5 or 6 sims in the household. Pretty much all of them had to be controlled and on the sims 3 I find my sims doing just fine if I leave them alone.

Along with the open neighborhood (which is now a little town) I feel like TS3's base game is much better than TS2's and also mitch is right that the base games player models were not that good. That was after all the skins, hairs, and whatever CC added after all those years. Also everything else looks good to me as far as the water and environment goes.

Also in Sims 3 all the little things we can do when building a house now. You look at the houses people are building now without mods it's pretty amazing(I am horrible at building) so I think Sims 3 improved in that area also.

I still played the heck out of Sims 2 though, but I remember not touching it much until EPs came out.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:27 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

now that i think about, ive played the sims 2 a while, and i also dont get how sims look like clay in TS3, sims 2 models looked like ceramic mannequins unless you got CC and eyes were just BLAHH i rather like the eyes in the sims 3, and now with late night i might be looking forward to sims 3. my only real complaint about sims 3 is that CC is hella hard to download and i am not going to go mess with files on my computer for it. And i guess the mission based stuff is forgivable seeing as how the producers are dying it down a little, I see a valid point in both arguments, and i also dont know why people think it would be so coll with an open neighborhood, it would look the same as sims 3? and looking around pleasantview would be hellla boring seeing as how its just houses and like 3 community lots... So as of right now i dont really know where i stand in the argument anymore. :huh:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 am
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

To tell you the truth, while I don't particularly like the graphics in the Sims 3, I like them way better than the Sims 2. Sure you could download and mod things in the Sims 2, but you can do that now as well. And when you compare the base games, the Sims 3 allows you more freedom. I remember feeling stuck with the same 3 or 4 looks with the Sims 2.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 pm
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Andrew
Graphic Transition:
Spoiler:
Graphics suck, not a big transition?

Really now...
Nuff' saiid.
Heh

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm